A dull drill bit benefits no one. It should always be sharp so you can work efficiently. To easily maintain this type of tool attachment, get your hands on the best drill bit sharpener money can buy.
Our Pick: Drill Doctor 350X Drill Bit Sharpener
Drill bit sharpeners normally can’t match ALL size options. That’s why you should consider your bits’ dimensions first before buying a sharpener. Since we can only choose one product for the top spot, we selected the Drill Doctor 350X Drill Bit Sharpener because of its standard features.
This device can sharpen twist bits measuring 3/32 inches up to 1/2 inches. It can also sharpen drill bits of different styles and materials – even the ones made of lighter metals.
Speaking of materials, we should also focus on the sharpener’s components. The diamond sharpening wheel is so strong that it meets industry standards. It won’t warp or deform despite heavy use.
Since overheating is a concern to avoid affecting the bit’s quality, this machine has a design that can cool itself. The bit won’t get hot, which preserves durability made possible by tempering.
If you still have a lot to learn about sharpening drill bits, you should pick a user-friendly option. This sharpener is ideal for beginners because it doesn’t require an alignment port.
All you need to do is keep the bit secure and move the chuck. Just let the V-block jaws hold it. These jaws are so well-designed that they can even hold small bits.
When it comes to controlling the chuck, simply turn it in an even number of half turns. One of your goals is to ensure an accurate 118-degree angle.
Runner Up: Tormek DBS-22 Drill Bit Sharpener
With its four-facet point, Tormek DBS-22 Drill Bit Sharpener ensures stability which leads to precision. It will move the bit’s point to a really secure chisel edge. The result is symmetry, an essential factor for efficiency and longer lifespan for the drill.
When it comes to angles, this sharpener focuses on the range between 90 and 150 degrees. In addition, you’ll be able to adjust the optimal clearance angle based on requirements to seven, nine, 11, or 14 degrees.
Regarding size, the holder can sharpen drill bits as small as 1/8 inch. It can also hold bigger bits measuring 7/8 inch at most.
Also Great: General Tools 825 Grinding Attachment
One of the most versatile options out there, General Tools 825 Grinding Attachment has an adjustable angle gauge to match any drill bit. For symmetry, it has a neck that pivots to easily grind the bit on both sides.
Since this product works well with a surface or electric bench grinder, it is ideal not just for homeowners but for professionals as well. It may look complicated, but it quickly gets the job done. Just be patient with the user’s manual.
Budget Pick: Woodstock D4144 Drill Sharpener
Despite being the most affordable one here, Woodstock D4144 Drill Sharpener is still hard to beat when it comes to efficiency and precision. It is perfect for 1/8-inch to 3/4-inch drill bits.
Just like standard sharpeners, this device is adjustable, too. It will allow you to set different angles for the drill bit’s point.
How to Use the Best Drill Bit Sharpener
As you can see, the products we’ve introduced come in different shapes and sizes. If you’re not familiar with the design of the best drill bit sharpener, we’re happy to guide you all the way. Go ahead and learn the basics of proper usage based on the official user’s guide.
- Place the sharpener on a sturdy table with a really flat surface.
- Plug the power cord into a safe outlet.
- Insert the drill bit into the chuck.
- Make sure the bit sticks out for at least 1/2 inch.
- Turn the chuck’s knob clockwise to tighten the hold (the bit should still be able to slide in or out.)
- Keep the flute’s leading edge close to the alignment finger by rotating the bit in the chuck.
- Align the white triangle and the chuck using the cam guide.
- Push the chuck into the sharpening port while making sure the chuck touches the cam guide.
- Tighten the chuck knob for real to prevent the bit from moving during the process.
- Activate the machine.
- Do a series of half-turns from one sharpening guide to another with the chuck.
- Continue Step 11 until the bit is evenly sharp.
Since electric drill bit sharpeners can be dangerous, you should keep an eye out for red flags. To keep you from overlooking some issues, here’s a list of safety tips you should follow:
- Your work area should be tidy, well-lit, and completely dry.
- Don’t use the device near flammable substances.
- Protect yourself from electric shocks by keeping a safe distance from refrigerators, radiators, and pipes.
- Don’t use the sharpener when you’re sleepy or too tired.
- Wear safety glasses and ear protection.
- Don’t wear accessories and loose clothes while working.
- Make sure the switch is off before connecting the cord to the outlet.
- When the sharpener is plugged in, don’t touch the components inside the machine.
- Unplug the power cord carefully to avoid damaging its wires.
- Don’t place the cord near sharp objects, oil, and heat.
- Don’t forget to turn off the device when not in use, especially during maintenance.
- Clean the sharpener every time it’s covered with grease or oil.
- Regularly check the sharpener’s components to easily spot damages.
- Don’t repair the sharpener by yourself if it has damaged parts.
- Store the sharpener in a secure dry place.
Some brands are popular for a reason. With Drill Doctor 350X Drill Bit Sharpener, maintaining drill bits becomes so much easier. It is the best drill bit sharpener because of its reliable advanced technology.
If you’re also planning to buy new drill bits, we suggest focusing on strength as a factor. Find out which types are considered the strongest.
Meanwhile, you should be ready for the possibility of a broken drill bit still fastened to a surface. Learn how to remove one without breaking the entire object.