Head lice are extremely common among children. This, however, doesn’t mean that adults and the rest of the family won’t get it. If there’s one person at home who has head lice, there’s a good chance that the others will get them, too. This is one good reason why head lice are not that easy to treat.
To help break this cycle, we’ve rounded up and reviewed the best lice treatment you can use for the whole family. These products were carefully selected to make sure that they aren’t only effective but safe, too.
Our Pick: Fairy Tales Rosemary Repel Lice Prevention
Formulated with organic rosemary, citronella, and tea tree anise, Fairy Tales Rosemary Repel Lice Prevention is the best lice treatment. It’s free from SLS and parabens so you won’t have to worry about compromising your health in the process of getting rid of those nasty lice. Another thing you’ll love about this product is that it can work on all hair types.
It isn’t that drying to the hair, too. In fact, it can leave your hair with an ample amount of moisture. If you’re still worrying about your hair looking too stiff or flat after using a lice treatment, this product actually comes with a conditioner to nourish and protect your hair.
This lice treatment has a refreshing scent, thanks to its lavender content. The scent isn’t that intense. However, if you have a really sensitive sense of smell, this might be an issue.
Runner Up: Lice Logic Lice Shampoo and Lice Treatment
Lice Logic Lice Shampoo and Lice Treatment have a plant-based formula to effectively kill lice, nits, and eggs. It’s non-toxic and contains no pesticides, making it safe to use even on kids. The product is also cruelty-free and vegan.
This lice treatment is really easy to use. Just apply it to your scalp and massage for about 15 minutes. Make sure to detangle your hair to allow the product to work its magic on every part of your hair and scalp. You can use a nit comb to really get those nits out.
Similar to the first product, this one is also scented. The only difference is that it smells mintier because of its peppermint content. If you are into refreshing scents, you will surely love this one.
Also Great: Babo Botanicals Lice Prevention Kids Shampoo
Babo Botanicals Lice Prevention Kids Shampoo is one of the things you shouldn’t miss, particularly if your kids are already going to school. It works great in preventing lice with its non-irritating formula.
Containing tea tree, mint and rosemary, this product is safe to use every day. It’s free from parabens, SLS or any other harsh chemicals so the entire family can use it without having to worry about any nasty side effects.
Unlike Lice Logic, this product should only be massaged and left on your hair and scalp for 3 to 5 minutes. It’s a better choice if you don’t have too much time to spend in the shower. In addition to ease of use, it also creates a nice lather to really cleanse your scalp. As for the scent, it’s also minty.
Budget Pick: Lice Shield Shampoo and Conditioner
For those who are on a budget, you’re going to love Lice Shield Shampoo and Conditioner. It’s formulated with natural oils which means that it won’t only get rid of lice but also condition and nourish your hair and scalp. And since it’s a shampoo and conditioner in one product, you’re really going to save a lot.
Take note, however, that although the product has conditioning ingredients, you shouldn’t rely on it for moisturizing your hair. If you have extremely dry scalp and hair, make sure you don’t skip using a good conditioner after it.
This lice treatment has a tangle-free formula which is gentle for daily use. Its scent is quite nice and it’s not the type to leave any strong fragrance after you’ve washed your hair.
Now, there’s one issue. If you have lice problems for a very long time, this product may not be strong enough for that. However, for new cases and prevention, this is certainly one of your best choices.
How To Use A Lice Treatment
Having lice-infested hair is not just uncomfortable; it can be quite embarrassing, too. You have to scratch and scratch just to relieve the itch on your scalp. And you know what’s worse? Other people can also get lice because of you.
So, to make sure none of those things happen, here are some quick tips on how to use an over-the-counter lice treatment.
- Start off by preparing all of your items. Make sure that everything you need is within your reach.
- Ensure that there’s enough light in where you’ll be working.
- Take a towel and place it on your shoulders.
- Get a magnifying mirror and inspect your hair as you separate it into smaller sections. Comb your hair to make sure that there are no tangles.
- Wet your hair and apply your lice treatment. Massage it on your hair and scalp for about 15 minutes.
- Take out your comb again and use it to spread the product out. Make sure that your hair and scalp are thoroughly covered.
- Put on a shower cap and leave it on for another 15 minutes. You can go longer as per your product’s instructions.
- After such time, take out a nit comb and comb through your hair. You can divide your hair into smaller sections again to make this process easier. If you have short hair, you may need to spend around 1 to 2 hours combing the nits out. For long hair, it can take around 2 to 4 hours.
- Wash out the product thoroughly and dry as usual.
- Check your hair under a bright light and pull out any remaining nits.
- To get the best results, repeat these steps every 1 to 3 days until your hair is completely free from nits. If your infestation is severe, you may have to repeat these steps for 3 days.
Since nits can spread to all members of the family, make sure that everyone uses the lice treatment. Any member who got exposed to another person with nits should do the same thing.