Craving for a big loaf of bread with an irresistible crust?
Use a Dutch oven!
Before we discuss the procedure, we should tell you the ingredients first for a loaf of bread. Based on Tasty‘s recipe, prepare the following:
- 2 cups of warm water
- 1 envelope of active dry yeast
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
And, now, we’re going to reveal the steps on how to bake bread in a Dutch oven.
- Dissolve the yeast in the water.
- While waiting, combine salt and flour by hand in a big bowl.
- With your fingers, make a shallow hole at the center of the salt-flour mix.
- When the yeast is finally foamy, pour it into the hole.
- With wet hands, mix everything in the bowl to make the dough.
- Cover the bowl for at least an hour and 30 minutes until the dough rises.
- Check the dough if it will deflate by poking it with your finger.
- If the dough retains the indentations, start folding it to the center by pulling it from the sides.
- Cover the bowl again up to two hours.
- Sprinkle flour on a surface (preferably a tabletop).
- Place the dough on the surface and sprinkle some flour on it.
- With your hands, simply form a loaf out of the raw dough.
- Get a clean bowl and coat it with a bit of olive oil.
- Sprinkle some flour into the bowl.
- Place the dough in the bowl and cover it for one hour.
- While waiting, put an empty Dutch oven in a 450˚F oven for one hour.
- Remove the Dutch oven and put it on a surface that can withstand extreme heat.
- Form the dough on a floured surface again and put it in the Dutch oven.
- Cover the Dutch oven and put it back in the preheated oven.
- Remove the Dutch oven’s lid after 30 minutes.
- Wait for another 15 minutes until the bread is ready.
Knowing how to bake bread in a Dutch oven is practical since the intense heat will easily cook the dough. It will also let you enjoy bread that’s full of texture and volume.
If you’re particular about duration, we have a list for different bread machine cycles.