Isn’t it nice to buy a new bathroom scale? However, you can’t just depend on what other people say about its precision. Be a responsible buyer and learn how to check the accuracy of a bathroom scale.
While calibration can be tricky, thank goodness that it’s super-easy to test the precision of a bathroom scale. The key here is to simply use a weight plate or dumbbell to have a basis for your test.
Here’s an example: a five-pound dumbbell should reflect the exact same weight on the scale. If the scale shows a significantly different measurement, then you’re looking at a low-quality or broken device.
For a more extensive test without any hassle, we highly recommend adjustable dumbbells. This type of gym equipment comes with a set of weight plates. It will give you the chance of checking the accuracy of your body scale with light and heavyweights.
Now, we’re very aware that there are two kinds of bathroom scales. That’s why we’re going to discuss different methods for mechanical and digital types.
Mechanical Bathroom Scales
Since analog bathroom scales usually function with the traditional spring mechanism, they work better with heavier weights. They aren’t typically sensitive with lightweight objects.
Check out the process on how to check the accuracy of a mechanical bathroom scale:
- Place your bathroom scale on a flat, solid surface.
- Reset the scale by turning its screw or wheel.
- Put the dumbbell or weight plate on the scale.
- Take note of the result.
- Remove the weight from the scale.
- Repeat Steps 2-5 at least three times.
- Compare the results.
Digital Bathroom Scales
Digital bathroom scales are more sensitive than mechanical ones. So, their precision should be tested with light and heavyweights.
Here’s the method for checking the accuracy of a digital bathroom scale:
- Put your bathroom scale on a flat surface.
- Reset the scale according to the user’s manual.
- Place a heavy weight on the scale.
- Take note of the measurement.
- Add a smaller weight.
- Again, take note of the result.
- Remove both weights from the scale.
- Repeat Steps 2-7 more than twice.
- Analyze the results.
It seems intimidating to think that you have to learn how to check the accuracy of a bathroom scale. Luckily for you, it’s quite easy. You just need to use weights and take notes for comparison.