Just like any other equipment, generators need regular maintenance. Proper cleaning can extend their lifespan. To help boost your machine’s durability, we’re giving you some basic tips on how to clean generator.
Before anything else, you should know that your generator’s instruction manual probably includes cleaning tips. It might indicate special directions for maintenance you have to follow. In fact, the following tips are based on a certain user’s manual:
Wash the air filter
One important feature that contributes to the generator’s performance is the air filter. Since it captures impurities, it eventually becomes dirty. Here are the steps in cleaning generator filters:
- Remove the air filter’s cover.
- Take off the foam element.
- Wash the filter with water and liquid detergent.
- Squeeze the filter in a cloth to completely eliminate excess water.
- Apply engine oil all over the filter.
- Squeeze the filter again in an absorbent cloth.
- Return the filter in the generator.
- Reinstall the cover.
Remove impurities around the generator
This time, let’s learn how to clean the external surfaces of the generator. Check out these tips:
- Wipe the generator with a damp cloth.
- Gently brush off dirt and oil residues.
- Remove stubborn debris by using an air compressor.
Now that you know how to clean generator, your machine is more likely to last longer. Don’t forget to maintain your generator inside and out.
Come to think of it, generator maintenance is useless with wrong storage techniques. To avoid premature damages, know the ideal place to hide generators. For starters, you should never store generators in wet areas.
As a plus, you might want to learn how to reduce generator noise.