Just like any other breastfeeding product, nipple shields need regular cleaning, too. After all, we’re talking about your baby’s health and safety. To ensure that you’ll do it right, allow us to give you some tips on how to clean nipple shield.
First off, you don’t actually need to sterilize the nipple shield. According to the Australian Breastfeeding Association, you just need to ensure that your hands are clean before washing it. Simply wash your hands with soap and water then wipe them dry with a clean towel.
After cleaning your hands, do the next steps:
- Wash off the remaining milk from the nipple shield with cold water.
- Wash the nipple shield with hot soapy water.
- Pour hot plain water over the nipple shield and rinse it thoroughly.
- Shake off excess water.
- Drain the nipple shield by turning it upside down on a clean towel for a few minutes.
- Cover it while air-drying to avoid contamination.
- Wipe it with a clean cloth or towel before storage.
- Store the nipple shield in a clean container with a tight lid.
Learning how to clean nipple shield can keep your baby safe from harmful bacteria. Luckily for you, it’s so easy to do. Just remember to clean your hands before washing it.
Of course, there will come a time that your baby should stop using the nipple shield. As early as now, find out how to wean your child from it.