Tired of going to a hair salon just to have a simple haircut?
Good news! You don’t have to be a pro to do that yourself.
All you need is a good clipper. And we’re here to teach you how to use clippers to cut your own hair. For a more helpful discussion, we’re going to introduce two sets of instructions for men and women.
Men should go against the grain when cutting hair
The rule of thumb is to move the clipper against the hair’s direction. This leads to a more thorough cut.
Below are the tips men should follow:
- Start with the top section of the hair.
- Gently move the clipper backward when cutting the top part.
- Be careful not to hurt the ears when cutting the sides.
- Cut the back part last.
- Use a hand mirror for a more effective cut at the back.
Women should tie their hair first before cutting it
Surprise, surprise – clippers aren’t only for men. Even long-haired women may use clippers for a faster haircut. Just take a look at this tutorial video from Patry Jordan English:
Here are the steps once again:
- Straighten hair first with a flat iron at the right temperature.
- Tie hair back with multiple elastics (one inch away from each other).
- Cut the tip with a clipper.
- Clean the edges for a straighter look.
- Remove the elastic hair ties.
For a straighter cut, divide hair into two sections instead of just tying it back.
To easily remember the tips on how to use clippers to cut your own hair, you should practice in front of a mirror with an imaginary clipper. This way, you’ll have better control of your hands and arms during the actual process.