Having smoother and shinier curls is obviously your hair goal. Good thing that a lot of blow dryers nowadays come with a free diffuser attachment. To help you achieve healthier curls, we’re going to teach you how to use a diffuser on curly hair.
Positive results rely on the preparation, though. According to a set of instructions reviewed by a licensed cosmetologist, it is best to apply conditioner all over your hair while in the shower. This will prevent curly hair from getting frizzy.
Also, before using a diffuser, make sure to squeeze out excess water from your hair. You’ll need a gentler airflow, so don’t expect to blow dry your drenched hair faster with a diffuser.
Finally, we’re ready to discuss the step-by-step process!
Be gentle on your hair while using a diffuser.
Since a diffuser will direct airflow on a specific area of your hair, never use a hot temperature and a high air pressure. After making sure that the temperature setting is only cool or warm and the airflow is low or medium, here are the next steps:
- Lean your head at any direction you’re comfortable with. The ideal way is to flip your hair upside down, but it can be uncomfortable. Don’t stay upright because your roots will get flat as the tips are still heavy with moisture. Curly hair needs more volume at the roots, you know.
- Turn on the diffuser while pointing it upward. This is important so you’ll be able to focus on the tips first.
- Place a handful of curls on the diffuser.
- Lift the diffuser until it reaches your roots.
- Hold the diffuser for a while until your roots are starting to get dry.
- Move the diffuser in a circular motion. This will increase the volume of your roots and speed up the drying process.
- Lower the diffuser as soon as possible. Don’t wait until your curls are completely dry. This will trigger frizz.
- Let your curls drop out of the diffuser.
- Repeat the process until you’re done with all sections.
Do some finishing touches.
There are a couple of things you can do to prolong the diffuser’s effect.
Meanwhile, for bouncy curls, use a gentle hairspray. Obviously, the extra-firm kind will only make your curls look artificial.
Now that you know how to use a diffuser on curly hair, feel free to blow dry your strands with this attachment every day. Just don’t forget to use a gentler airflow and lower temperatures. Also, never hold the diffuser too long on a single section.