Every household should use cast iron cookware.
But, there’s a catch.
You must learn how to season cast iron to preserve its quality. This will also create a nonstick surface.
Since different sources recommend different methods, we’re going to focus on the best way to season cast iron. According to Cook’s Illustrated, it involves using an oven and flaxseed oil.
Take a look at the following steps:
- Place the cast iron in an oven for 15 minutes at 200 degrees.
- Take it out of the oven.
- Apply one tablespoon of flaxseed oil on the cast iron.
- Rub flaxseed oil into the cast iron by using tongs and paper towels.
- Wipe off excess oil with clean paper towels.
- Put the cast iron upside down in a cool oven.
- Adjust the oven’s temperature to the maximum.
- Leave the cast iron inside the oven for two hours.
- Repeat Steps 1-8 five times (or until the surface becomes dark with a matte-like finish).
The best way to season cast iron is definitely time-consuming, but the result is guaranteed to be stunning and foolproof. Don’t worry; you have the freedom to choose faster methods. However, don’t expect them to bring long-lasting results.
Just in case you’d fail to prevent corrosion on your cast iron pan, find out how to remove the rust from its surface.
If you’re looking for more cast iron products, check out the best Dutch ovens for camping.