If your baby’s safety is your priority, then you should definitely have a baby gate installed at home. It can keep your baby from wandering into places he shouldn’t be.
Take note, however, that a baby gate will only be effective if it’s set at the right height. To know more about how tall a baby gate should be, read on.
Ideal Height for The Gate
Generally speaking, there is no ideal height for a gate. However, it should be 2-3 times higher than your baby. This makes it ideal that you buy a gate that is above the head level of your child.
You can also purchase a gate that is tall enough if you do not want to open the door by bending. Also, make sure that if you want to adjust the gate above the ground level, then do not leave the space more than 2-3 inches. That will not trap the head of the baby.
Important Things to Keep In Mind:
- Carefully choose the location where you want to adjust the gate and take the measurements according to it. Ideally, it is best to use a gate with maximum height and width.
- There are two main types of gates that are commonly used. The pressure mounted gates are not ideal to use on the top of the stairs because they open abruptly. The hardware mounted gates are adjusted with the help of bolts and screws so these are tightly fixed gates. You can use them at the top of the stairs.
- Make sure that the gate is always closed when not in use.
- Make a habit of closing and locking the gate whenever you use it.
- Carefully follow the instructions regarding height, width, and bar spacing.
- Do not attempt to climb over the gate as your toddler will also copy you.
- Make sure that the gate is safe to open and close as toddlers like to grab and bash with the knobs and the bars.
Features To Consider For An Ideal Tall Gate
If you are buying a gate for the safety of your toddler, then consider the following things in mind:
Height of the Gate
If you are buying a gate, then choose a gate that has maximum height. Take the measurements of the place where you want to fix it and then buy a gate according to the height of the toddler. If your child crawls, then it is best to use a gate which is 2 to 3 feet higher than his height. When your child reaches the age of 2 years, then stop using these gates, especially at the top of the stairs. It will just make your baby prone to accidents as children of that age tend to climb over things.
Width of the Gate
Choose a gate with maximum width to cover a larger area. Most gates that are available in the market can be adjusted and expanded according to one’s needs. Choose these expandable gates so that you can adjust the height and width of the gate.
Type of Gate
Along with the height and width of the gate, it is also necessary to check the type of the gate. As mentioned, pressure mounted gates should not be used on the top of the stairs but they can be fixed in doorways. On the other hand, wall mounted gates can be ideally placed on the top of the stairs and in front of the fireplace.
Also make sure that there are no sharp edges, knobs, and slats on these gates. These smooth surfaces ensure the safety of the toddlers.
The gaps between the slats should be less than 2 inches. If you have placed the gate above the ground, then make sure that the space between the gate and the ground is smaller. Ideally, it should be less than 3 inches.
The selection of the right baby gate having enough height is very important especially if your child is more than one years of age. You must consider the points mentioned above while buying a baby gate.
Further Reading on Best Tall Baby Gates
- Best Plastic Baby Gates
- Best Metal Baby Gates
- The Best Outdoor Baby Gates
- Best Baby Gates for Dogs
- Best Baby Gates for Living Room or Kitchen
- Best Baby Gates for Cats
- Best Baby Gates for Banisters
- What Are The Baby Gate Safety Regulations
- Best Expandable Baby Gates
- Best Baby Gates With Pet Door
- Best Baby Gates With Door
- Best Baby Gates For Wide Openings
- Best Wood Baby Gates
- Best Baby Gates for Stairs