Yoga mats can be breeding grounds for harmful microorganisms. Just imagine germs from the floor plus your own sweat staying on your mat.
Talk about disgusting!
However, can you wash a yoga mat? Washing it is certainly more hygienic than just merely wiping its surfaces. Still, we don’t want to prematurely damage something, especially if it’s the expensive kind.
Some yoga mats are machine-washable.
Check if your yoga mat has a care label and cross your fingers. If the label indicates that your mat is machine-washable, you’re very lucky! However, you need to know the correct way on how to machine-wash your mat:
- Put your yoga mat inside the washer.
- Add a small amount of mild laundry detergent.
- Set the washer’s temperature to a maximum of 30 degrees. Feel free to go cooler than that.
- Set the washer’s power to a delicate cycle only.
- Start the washing process.
If your yoga mat is not machine-washable, wash it in a tub.
The main reason why you have to use a tub is to avoid ruining the flat shape of your yoga mat. If you’re going to place your mat in a basin, its edges might curve.
Anyway, here’s the method on how to wash your yoga mat in a tub:
- Pour cool water into the tub, enough to fill the entire base.
- Add a small amount of your usual laundry detergent. You may even use dishwashing liquid as an alternative.
- Soak your yoga mat for a few minutes.
- Scrub your mat, especially its sections with obvious stains.
- Rinse your mat thoroughly.
Can you wash a yoga mat?
Go ahead and wash your yoga mat to completely remove germs. Just remember to air-dry your mat afterward and make sure it stays flat.